Eating well when eating out
Eating out is a great way to relax with friends and indulge yourself a little. And it’s good to know that, by choosing carefully, your meal can help with weight management, a benefit for many people with osteoarthritis.
If you eat out regularly, it’s worth knowing how to spot a healthy choice on the menu and how to avoid high-fat meals. Here are some simple tips:
|Salad or extra vegetables||Chips and go easy on the bread|
|Lean meat, skinless chicken or seafood||Large serves of pasta and rice dishes|
|Steamed, pan fried, braised, baked, roasted or grilled choices||Fried, battered and crumbed choices|
|Pasta with tomato-based sauces||Creamy or cheesy sauces|
Take-away meals can also be healthy, for example:
- Wraps, kebabs and even plain hamburgers
- Smaller meal portions with extra vegetables and salad
- Small, thin crust pizzas topped with vegetables, lean meat or seafood
- Skin-free chicken
- Wholegrain sandwiches with lean meat and salad
- Sushi or Vietnamese rolls.
For an Asian dining out experience in the comfort of your own home, how about trying this healthy and delicious Beef Stir Fry with Cashews recipe